You might call it a bucket list but I like calling it a life list. I was inspired by my friend Karen and her life list. Karen was inspired by Maggie Mason's list. Personally, I think I could help Maggie with her "learn to use my camera" to-do. Anyway, my initial idea was to have 100 on my list as well but you would be surprised how hard that actually is to do! I could fill out 100 right away just with places I want to go but I tried to be selective, diverse and thoughtful about my inclusions. While talking to a friend about my list yesterday, he said, why 100? Why not whatever number you have? So, I decided to leave it open and ongoing and go ahead and publish it now. I'll add to it when new things come to mind and update as I cross things off the list.
Wanna play along? I'd love to see what you come up with! If you like, you can link to yours in the comments below.
Not in order of importance, here is my current life list of 60 items.
1. Place a love padlock on the Pont de l'Archeveche in Paris. (I can't figure out how to put accents on the letters of L'Archeveche in my blogging platform, sorry!)
2. Learn how to surf (again, and well this time).
3. Publish a bestselling book.
4. Own a custom made corset.- (completed April 2013, pictures to follow)
5. Visit Scotland and walk the battlefield of Culloden.
6. Own a 1966 black Mustang convertible.
7. Have a pet rabbit.
8. Live overseas, preferably in France.
9. Visit the Frida Khalo museum in Mexico.
10. Learn how to shoot my longbow and hit a bullseye.
11. Own a Leica M camera.
12. Visit a volcano.
13. Hike through a forest in the Pacific Northwest.
14. Become completely fluent in French (about 1/3 of the way there at present).
15. Take the boys to swim with the dolphins.
16. Have an article written about me/my work in Texas Monthly magazine.
17. Take (or have someone else take) boudoir/sexy photos of myself (preferably before I'm 45).
18. Be present for the birth of my grandchildren.
19. Meet Lyle Lovett, Bruce Springsteen and/or Tom Waits.
20. See my children find their true loves.
21. Design and have a custom home built.
22. Own an autographed copy of photographer Robert Frank's "The Americans".
23. Have a solo art exhibit.
24. Teach the basics of photography to one of my idols. Oprah Winfrey always come to mind first.
25. Travel to New Zealand.
26. Swim naked along a totally abandoned white sand beach with calm, clear blue waters.
27. Ride an elephant.
28. Touch a baby elephant.
29. Help Einin shop for a wedding dress.
30. Go ziplining somewhere cool, Costa Rican rainforest maybe?
32. Touch a whale.
33. Learn how to draw faces well, take a figure drawing class.
34. Renew my wedding vows to Steven in the presence of our children in some distant and isolated locale.
35. Learn how to stand up paddleboard.
36. Complete a photographic self portrait project.
37. Have my art work published in an art magazine.
38. Visit the French Caribbean.
39. Find a shark's tooth on a beach (Florida maybe?)
40. Add a vial of sand from the shores of Loch Ness to my sand collection.
41. See the Marfa lights.
42. Learn to knit.
43. Ride in a hot air balloon.
44. Ride in a helicopter.
45. Write a fiction novel.
46. Do documentary photography work in another country for a charity.
47. Learn how to make soap.
48. Learn to home brew beer.
49. Take a whiskey appreciation class.
50. Visit the Napa valley and taste wines.
51. See a glacier in Alaska.
52. See a true burlesque show.
53. Have a reading with a true psychic medium.
54. Visit Amish country and see/find quilt makers there.
55. Learn from a barista how to make a perfect latte and cappucino.
56. Learn how to sew my own clothes.
57. Design custom albums from all of my family's summer trips (6 so far).
58. Grow my hair long enough to do a long braid down the back.
59. Host a creative retreat / workshop in an exotic location.
60. Write another book.
61. Take a meditation class.
62. Learn (train) to do a handstand.
Karen also wrote some great tips on creating your own life list. Now, off to go see if Maggie needs help with her camera and to help Karen develop BW film and make pasta.